Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Three Sisters

Three Sisters is a cute little Mexican restaurant in East Sacramento that is a great place to meet friends and sip margaritas.

A quaint outdoor patio leads into the dinning room that has bamboo ceilings, bright yellow walls and tiny chili pepper lights that hang in the rounded windows.

It was pretty quiet on Monday evening and Mexican music played soft in the background; the whole time I was there I was wishing there was a live mariachi band.. (But I wish that at every Mexican restaurant that I visit, and I’m not sure that Three Sisters has the space anyway.)

The chips and salsa, which are a defining part of Mexican dining, as I’m sure you know, were very good here. The salsa wasn’t too hot or too mild, and it wasn’t too chunky or runny. I would say that it was just right.

They have an extensive margarita menu, with flavors like peach and mango and although I was tempted, I stuck with the classic margarita on the rocks. It was the perfect amount of tequila, salt and sweetness. Before long my glass was just filled with ice and I had to order another one.

The pork tamales that I ordered were huge and were placed on a bright blue and yellow dish with rice and beans. The tamales had a lot of flavor and the mole sauce was done right. The rice and beans on the other hand were pretty disappointing. The rice was far from Spanish, bright white and large, it looked like it came from an Uncle Ben’s minute rice package. I would have liked a more traditional rice, and refried as opposed to pinto beans, but the pork tamales more than made up for it.

The service was all smiles. Our food came out not too long after we got our drinks, and although it did take a while to get our check, our server might have just noticed that were all having a good time and were in no hurry to pay, who knows?

Three sisters is a great central meeting place if you want to get together with your friends from Midtown or East Sac.

And the fun doesn’t have to stop there. Just a block away is SoCals, a neighborhood bar that lets the regulars serve up dinner on Monday nights between six and until it’s gone.

Last Monday they dished up baked ziti, green salad and bread roles for just $2.50 a person.
So if you feel more like a $2.50 bar dinner ( which is very good by the way) as opposed to a 12.99 tamale dinner, you only have a block to walk if you end up changing your mind.

All around Three sisters is a reasonable place for a decent dinner at decent price. I’ll be back to hang out on their patio, snack on some chips, have a few margaritas.

Three Sisters is located on 51st and Folsom blvd.
Hours of operation
Monday - Friday 11am - 10pm
Saturday 9am - 10pm
Sunday 8:30am - 9pm

1 comment:

Michael J. Fitzgerald said...

Very well done in a breezy writing style that made it easy to read and digest.

Sorry, I've been waiting to use that pun for a dozen columns.

The addition of the link to the menu is clever and really adds to the piece. Nice job.

And the piece about SoCals was interesting... Sounds like a real bargain. Perhaps that could be the next review?

Or could that be where the class meets the final night???